Monday, January 6, 2014

Trending Topics

Response to Trending Topics

Psuedo-professional Hobgoblin - I think I have a new career aspiration.

Actually, I do.  And, +/- the Hobgoblin factor, will fit nicely into the psuedo-professional catagory.  I am drawing plans to become a champion for those with a disinclination to kick-ass resume writing.  I wish I had considered this earlier, it just hit me one day, not long ago that, Hey! I've written some pretty killer resumes, maybe I can capitalize on my supposed ability, help people get interviews and make some money doing it.  Of course, to date I have very few resumes constructed, but rest assured, they were some of the most spinney writings I have ever done and whether I should be or not, I am proud of that.  I reconstructed my resume at the same time as I did Jenn's.  We both got interviews near instantly, she landed the first job she interviewed for and was also partially interviewed for another position involving writing descriptions for an online marketplace.  As for me, I got an interview for a position I was way underqualified for, killed the interview, but they, sadly, could not get passed the lack of required experience.  Or was it sad?  I got the next job I inteviewed for.  Two months after employment with my current company, I wrote a proposal for my advancement and got promoted to Operations Manager and a healthy raise to boot.

Now all of this shameless back-patting is neccessary, you know.  Because, despite what would appear to be boundless confidence, and though I am very proud of some of my accomplishment via the written word, I have a severe lack of confidence.  So the neccessity of my self-glorification is paramount to sustaining self-motivation and the belief that I can do something with my life that also benefits my fellow people.

Exaggerating one's positives can be a healthy act, I think.  At least from time to time.  It motivates us to push a little harder, drive a little farther, progress a little faster.  All of that can be a good thing. Health is good.  Being happy is good.  And if you can be both healthy and happy, you're ahead of the game.

A lot of people point to weight as a marker for both health and happiness and I think it is sad.  Beauty is measured differently from culture to culture and time period to time period.  I was told of a time way before any of our days that being fat - truly fat - was a sign of wealth in a time of famine and therefore highly sought after.  Not too long ago, size 12, 14, 16 were the height of sex appeal, a size range that I find myself usually to be the most appealing.

I don't see anything wrong with being happy at any size, or for that matter expressing to others that it is okay to be happy at whatever size you find yourself.  Sometimes people need to be told it's okay to feel a certain way because a segment of society, growing in its loudness, is screaming that it's not okay to be happy with yourself if you don't mirror the cover of whatever the popular teen magazine is these days.  I'll concede that there is probably a measurable quantity of large people who do fit the stereotype of lazy and un-motivated, but it isn't everybody.  Some people simply do not lose the weight at the same rate as others, or have the ability to keep it off.  Even if it is totally a matter of willpower, so what?  Some people have stronger willpower in one area versus another.  I have tons of willpower when it comes to food.  I love tasty food and love to cook, but I can stop when I need to stop.  Areas that I do not have much willpower in?  Music and stereo upgrades.  It takes a lot of control to keep my wallet in pocket when I'm in a store that sells audio equipment.  And if it sells LP's as well, oh shit.  My lack of willpower has sent me to return lines by the firey eyes of my lovely wife.  Does it make me a better person because I can put down a tasty treat but can't put down a Black Keys album?  I certainly don't think so.  We all have our weaknesses and if it's food, that person should not be shamed for having given into something that is chemically dispositioned us to have that weakness.

Fat shaming is absurd.  If someone is shamed for being overweight then I should be shamed for having a killer stereo and record library and my firends should be shamed for having absolutely gorgeous cars and everyone in Rancho Santa Fe should be shamed for indulging in thier fantasies of having a 19,000 square foot house.

We should all be happy with who we are and what we are, because the chances of truly changing are slim.

No comments:

Post a Comment